Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 820 W Lee ST W / Parcel ID 616990-1060 / Inv #

Historic Name: Garrison, Thomas B., House Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare, Italian - Italianate Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1912
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This striking house was designed in 1912 for Thomas B. Garrison, president of the Pacific Coast Pipe Company. He remained here until the 1930s. Later owners were Evelyn Ruble (1934-41) and Oliver Braugh 1941-60s), a real estate salesman for Guy Stevens, Inc., and his wife Grace. The house was noted in the 1970s city-wide historic resources inventory and appears to be largely intact. An elevator shaft was added in 1929. The architect, James E. Blackwell, was born in Virginia and practiced in Washington, D. C., and Rochester, N.Y., in the late 1880s. He arrived in Tacoma in 1891, doing work on dock projects in Port Orchard and Portland. He arrived in Seattle in 1897, working in partnership with Robert I. Robertson (1897-1904) and Frank Lidstone Baker ((1911-14). During this partnership, in addition to this house, he designed the Grand Trunk Dock (now destroyed) on the Seattle waterfront and the Armory in Bellingham.
This house is essentially a hipped-roof Classic Box in form, clad with dark red brick with brick quoins. It sits high above 9th Avenue West, with West Lee Street, a long staircase, running along the south side. The roof has deep eaves and curved brackets. The main entry, on the south, has a brick portico topped by a brick balustrade. The glass door has plain sidelights. To the east is a large window with a three-light transom. Most other windows are one-over one sash. The house’s most striking feature is a square three-story brick tower at the northwest corner, giving it an Italian feeling. The tower has a hipped roof, clad with red clay tile, and diamond-paned arched windows at the top. The house itself originally had a tile roof, which has been replaced. To the south of the tower, on the west elevation, is a small recessed porch with a cast stone balustrade and a prominent three-sided cast stone bay with a green tile roof and a three part window with transoms. Lower-level windows are one-over-one sash. The north elevation has a portico with two columns, dentils and a turned balustrade. There is a secondary entry at the northeast corner. At the bottom of the lot is a retaining wall and a concrete garage on 9th Avenue West.

Detail for 820 W Lee ST W / Parcel ID 616990-1060 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Clay Tile, Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: three
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows:
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 820 W Lee ST W / Parcel ID 616990-1060 / Inv #

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0