Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 904 16th AVE / Parcel ID 1336800455 / Inv #

Historic Name: Megrath, John, Residence Common Name:
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1904
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This house was noted in the city's 1979 historic resources survey, and in the Guide to Architecture in Washington State. It was built in 1904 for John Megrath, a prominent building contractor and owner of Washington Brick and Tile. It was owned for many years by the Olmstead family, who purchased it in 1933. This block is within the original Capitol Hill of James A. Moore, who gave the area its name. In 1900 Moore, who had already developed other Seattle neighborhoods, purchased and began platting 160 acres, roughly between 11th and 20th avenues, from Roy Street north to Galer. Before selling lots for construction, he graded and paved the streets (eliminating the dust that plagued many sections), installed sidewalks, water mains and sewer lines, and planned for street lights and telephone poles. Lots went on sale in 1901, heavily promoted to attract local business leaders as residents. The response was immediate. The quality infrastructure, convenient transportation, schools and other amenities proved to be very popular and the area was largely developed, with sizable, attractive houses, within only a few years.
 
Appearance
This house has an imposing two-story pedimented portico with Corinthian columns and pilasters flanking the entry and at the corners. Within the portico is a second story porch with a curving wrought iron balustrade. The hip roof has deep bracketed eaves with a row of dentils below. A wide belt course runs below the plain frieze, extending down to the second-story windows. Cladding is clapboard. Front windows on the first floor have leaded glass transoms and pediments above. The oak door has sidelights plain sidelights with leaded glass transoms. Other windows are one-over-one sash, mostly in pairs. Each side has a dormer with a Palladian window with 6-over-6 sash. In front of the house is one of the few remaining carriage stepping stones.

Detail for 904 16th AVE / Parcel ID 1336800455 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Williams, Jacqueline B. The Hill with a Future: Seattle's Capitol Hill 1900-1946. Seattle: CPK Ink, 2001.
Woodbridge, Sally and Roger Montgomery. A Guide to Architecture in Washington State. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1980.
King County Tax Assessor Records, ca. 1932-1972.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. "Capitol Hill: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources."

Photo collection for 904 16th AVE / Parcel ID 1336800455 / Inv #


Photo taken Dec 05, 2006
App v2.0.1.0