Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 819 W Lee ST W / Parcel ID 616990-0595 / Inv #

Historic Name: Batley, William & Jessie, House Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1925
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This unusual house was built in 1925 for William A. Batley and his wife Jessie. Batley was the president of the Phoenix Shingle Company, located on Shilshole Avenue in Ballard. They lived here from 1935 until 1962, when the house was purchased by James G. Sheehy, a physician, and his wife Marion, who lived here until the 1980s. This is one of at least three Queen Anne houses designed by James Hansen Schack. A native of the Schlesweg region of Germany, Schack arrived in Seattle in 1901 after receiving architectural training at various Chicago firms. He was a partner of Daniel Huntington from 1907-09, primarily designing apartments, commercial buildings and residences, as well as the First United Methodist Church in downtown Seattle. He is best known, however, for his later partnership with David Meyers and Arrigo Young, which began in 1920. It was during this period that this work was done. The firm designed the Seattle Civic Auditorium complex, the town of Longview and numerous residences and commercial buildings. It remained in existence until the 1990s.
This large house sits high above 9th Avenue West, with a brick retaining wall along the street. The house has a gable-front-and-wing form, with the gable facing west. Cladding is red brick with cast stone trim. The most distinctive feature is a large three-sided brick porch on the west, with an open terrace on top. The terrace has five multipaned leaded glass windows and doors; above, on the third floor, is a pair of 12-light casement windows. Just to the south is a Tudor chimney with cast stone ornament. The entry is on the east side, along the staircase of West Lee Street. It has an elaborate cast stone surround with an arched oak door. Flanking the door on each side are three 15-light leaded casement windows with wide surrounds. Similar windows are elsewhere. There is a secondary entry to the east of the main entry, with newer oak French doors opening to a small patio.

Detail for 819 W Lee ST W / Parcel ID 616990-0595 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 819 W Lee ST W / Parcel ID 616990-0595 / Inv #

Photo taken Aug 16, 2004
App v2.0.1.0