Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1405 4th AVE / Parcel ID 609600-0300 / Inv #

Historic Name: Ball, James & May, House Common Name:
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival, Vernacular Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1907
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
While this house is simple in style, it is one of the older houses in the vicinity and is prominently sited above the street. It was built in 1907 for James W. Ball, a dentist. Little is known about the architect Stephen A. Jennings, except that he was listed as an architect in the Polk Directory from 1899 to 1907. The builder was John H. Raymond. Ball and his wife May lived here until 1919, when they sold the house to Katherine C. Lippencott, whose husband, Walter, was a physician. They had the garage built in 1921, replacing a stable that was built in 1907. The Lippencotts had several properties, and rented this house out during the late 1930s, selling it in 1941 to Alfred and Enid Sobieralski (1940s-50s). Later owners included Dee and Barbara Eberhart ( 1958-63), Verle and Chloris Helsel (1960s-70s) and Sanford S. Short , an engineer, who lived here in the 1970s-90s. The current owners purchased the property in 1997 and have completely restored it.
This 2-1/2 story side gable house sits high above the street, with a new concrete block retaining wall and landscaping. It has a hip-roofed veranda with simple square columns along most of the east and south sides. The entry is on the east side. Windows are predominantly 15/1 double-hung sash with some smaller multipaned windows. The gable ends have two 20-light awning windows. Cladding is primarily shingles with clapboard on the lower portion. The bottom of the second story flares slightly. A dentilled cornice runs below the gable ends and the second floor, and dentils are also found beneath the deep eaves, which have prominent returns. At the northeast and southwest corners are three-sided bays with multipaned windows, with a small recessed porch at the southwest. The detached garage reamins, north of the house.

Detail for 1405 4th AVE / Parcel ID 609600-0300 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 1405 4th AVE / Parcel ID 609600-0300 / Inv #

Photo taken Feb 09, 2003
App v2.0.1.0