Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 5900 Lake Washington BLVD / Parcel ID 2324049007 / Inv # DPR088

Historic Name: Seward Park Fish Hatchery Pump House Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Rustic, Other Neighborhood: Seward Park
Built By: Year Built: 1937
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed this distinctive log pump house in 1936-37 to provide lake water for the operation of the adjacent fish hatchery at Seward Park. Originally, the peninsula was known as Graham Peninsula after Walter Graham purchased it in 1863. In 1890, the real estate developer William E. Bailey purchased the land from a subsequent owner, and it became known as Bailey Peninsula. In the early 1890s, Edward O. Schwagerl, the Superintendent of Public Parks, proposed selling Volunteer Park, then known as City Park, to fund the purchase of the Bailey Peninsula for a new "Southeast Park." However, this plan was not realized partly due to the fact that the peninsula was considered to be even further out in the wilderness than Volunteer Park and fairly inaccessible. In 1903, the city hired the Olmsted Brothers landscape firm to prepare plans for a comprehensive park and boulevard system, including suggestions for improvements to existing parks. This move was largely brought on by the public interest generated for the planned Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition and through the purchase of Woodland Park and the acquisition of Washington Park, two large tracts of mostly undeveloped land. The first proposal on the list of the Olmsted Brothers was a recommendation to acquire the still heavily wooded Bailey Peninsula before it was developed. At the time, the peninsula was located outside the southern city limits situated well to the north at South Hanford Street. A new boulevard on the western shore of Lake Washington could connect the proposed park with the southern boundary of the city. In 1908, the Olmsted Brothers supplemented their original plan with an additional report, which included the large areas annexed by the city the previous year, including this area of the Rainier Valley. The Baileys withheld development of the peninsula in anticipation of selling it to the city. However, condemnation proceedings became necessary after the two parties could not agree on a fair price. In 1911, the city paid $322,000 for the peninsula with funds from the 1910 bond issue and named the new park after William H. Seward, who had acquired Alaska for the United States in 1867. The city also hired the Olmsted Brothers to prepare landscape plans for the new park. Seward Park was one of 37 individual parks and playgrounds for which the Olmsted Brother prepared detailed landscape plans between 1904 and 1930. As envisioned by the Olmsted Brothers, Seward Park would be designed as a water and forest oriented park with piers for boats to dock. Four miles of drives along the bluffs above the shoreline would provide scenic views of lake and mountains, however the focus of development would be on access from the water. Twelve miles of winding paths would connect various amenities, which would be clustered at the northern end for the convenience of boaters. These included picnic groves, summer houses, a dancing pavilion, bathing beaches and bathhouses, piers, and children’s play equipment. At the time, the peninsula was almost an island with only a narrow neck of land connecting it to the mainland. The Olmsted Brothers proposed construction of a land bridge to better connect the peninsula with the new lakeshore boulevard, already under development. The first improvements were made in 1913 when a path system was established through the forest. However, the lowering of Lake Washington in 1916 due to the construction of the Ship Canal changed the focus of development from the northern to the southern end as vehicular access from the mainland improved. The drained marshes at the formerly narrow neck were also filled to create a broad meadow at the park entrance. By 1919, boaters could dock at newly built piers and enjoy picnics, hiking trails, and a children’s play area. Over the next ten years, a number of additional improvements were made, including construction of picnic and stove shelters, comfort stations, a privately operated boat pavilion, and a concession stand. These wood frame structures were constructed as temporary amenities until more permanent improvements could be built. In 1927, the Seward Park Inn, a Tudor Revival refreshment building, was constructed on the circular drive at the entrance, and the beach area at the northern end of the meadow was developed, including the completion of the first phase of a masonry bathhouse. In 1930, the Parks Department began to develop a drive along the entire shoreline of the peninsula in response to public demand. Two years later, two identical brick comfort stations were constructed along the drive at the northern and southern ends of the peninsula. However, the construction of additional improvements largely came to an end until the later 1940s with the exception of those projects completed by state and federal unemployment relief agencies, such as the Works Progress Administration (WPA). In June of 1934, a suggestion to turn Lake Washington into a "Fisherman’s Paradise" began negotiations towards the establishment of ten fish rearing ponds in Seward Park. These negotiations resulted in an agreement between the Parks Department, the Outdoor Sports Council and the Washington Emergency Relief Administration (WERA) to provide the labor and funding for the project. Once the project was completed, the State Game Department would provide salmon fingerlings from their hatcheries. The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Washington Emergency Relief Administration (WERA) began construction of the ten fish rearing ponds in 1934, however the WERA completed the work in 1935 when the CWA was disbanded. The same year, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) prepared plans for ten additional ponds as well as the necessary residences and support facilities. However, construction did not begin until 1936 and was not completed until 1937. The pump station was necessary to provide water from the lake for the operation of the fish hatchery and acted as a substitute for the usual river location of fisheries ponds. The log construction of the pump station is similar to a small feed house also completed at that time but no longer extant. Established in November 1933 to provide relief work for unemployed persons through public work projects, the CWA functioned simultaneously with the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and to some extent with the same personnel. In March 1934, the CWA was liquidated, and its functions and records were transferred to the Emergency Relief Program of FERA. In 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) consolidated and superseded several earlier programs, including the CWA and the FERA. The WERA was a relief agency operated by the Washington State government from 1933-37. In addition to creating work for the unemployed, WERA also provided other public welfare assistance, including aid to the aged, the homeless, and the impoverished. The Works Progress Administration completed the ten additional fish rearing ponds, two caretakers’ houses, a pump house, a garage, and a feed house by 1937. The WPA also landscaped the area and constructed roads and paths throughout the hatchery site. Under the management of several agencies, the fish hatchery remained in operation until the mid-1990s. This log building is significant for its design and for its associations with the Works Progress Administration and with the development of Seward Park.
Completed in 1937, this architecturally distinctive log frame pump house occupies a shoreline site on the eastern side of the Seward Park peninsula north of the midpoint. The fish hatchery facility is located on the hillside across the perimeter road to the west. The rustic building has a rectangular plan, which measures 18 feet by 14 feet, and an overhanging side gable roof with exposed rafters. Set into a slope, the structure faces east onto a rock wall terrace overlooking Lake Washington. A small manmade waterfall runs down from the fish hatchery to the lake beyond the south side of the building. Notched logs chinked with concrete comprise the small building’s upper walls, which rest on three-foot concrete walls faced with river rock on all but the rear west elevation within the hillside. Wide vertical boards clad the north and south gable ends. These milled boards replaced the original cladding of narrow logs set vertically. At the southern end of the principal east elevation, a heavy plank door retains the original wrought iron strap hinges as well as the original wrought iron door handle and lock. However, the original multi-paned sash window in the horizontal opening at the northern end has been covered. On the north and south elevations, louvered openings covered with screens have replaced the original multi-paned sash set within the log walls. Both gable ends contain small metal louvers at the peaks, and the southern gable end also has a large screened opening. The rear west elevation presents a blank log wall. In addition to the cladding alterations within the gable ends, graffiti mars the exterior of this somewhat neglected building. However, this unique structure still retains good physical integrity.

Detail for 5900 Lake Washington BLVD / Parcel ID 2324049007 / Inv # DPR088

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Log, Stone Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Wood - Shake
Building Type: Other Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Log No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Agriculture, Community Planning/Development, Conservation, Entertainment/Recreation, Other
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Sherwood, Don. Seattle Parks Histories, c. 1970-1981, unpublished.
Seattle Department of Parks. Annual report/Department of Parks. Seattle, WA: 1909-1955.

Photo collection for 5900 Lake Washington BLVD / Parcel ID 2324049007 / Inv # DPR088

Photo taken Nov 10, 2000
App v2.0.1.0