Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1530 Queen Anne AVE / Parcel ID 423290-3910 / Inv # QA001

Historic Name: Queen Anne Club Common Name: Prorobics/Pasta Bella
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Hancock and Lockman Year Built: 1927
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This building was constructed in 1927 as the home of the Queen Anne Club. It is by far the largest and most elaborate of the club houses built by several community groups during this period; most were satisfied with wood-frame, residential scale structures. This building, in contrast, is a large brick edifice that originally had a 700-seat auditorium. Its dedication was a major event, drawing more than 2,000 people, with speeches by the governor and the mayor. Some called it "the biggest community project ever attempted in Seattle." With the new building, membership grew to 2,000 families. The group, which has formed in 1922, had evolved from a number of local improvement clubs who had been responsible for improvements such as street paving and lighting of streets and playfields. However, only a few years later, in the early 1930s, the club had to sell the property due to the Depression. The group lost members and later disbanded. The building was converted to office use and was then altered for the studios of the Queen City Broadcasting Company. Further modifications were made for KIRO-TV in 1957, and their television tower was built at the south edge of the property, where it remains today. In 1969 the building became Community Services for the Blind. Since 1982 it has had various commercial and office uses; currently the major tenants are a health club and a restaurant. It was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Otis Hancock moved to Seattle from Duluth in 1907. He attended the Carnegie Institute of Technology. Following naval service during World War I, he entered architectural practice in Seattle, working with Arthur Loveless, B. Marcus Priteca, and Frank Fowler. This building was designed during his partnership with Frederick V. Lockman, 1925-1933. He maintained an individual practice from 1933 until his retirement in 1971.
 
Appearance
This large brick building is a major presence on Queen Anne's major street. It is basically rectangular, extending 110 feet along Queen Anne Avenue North. The gable ends of the side gable roof each have a single round window under a boxed cornice and frieze with returns. The west fa├žade had a classical portico at the main entry. Four cast-stone pilasters carry a handsomely detailed entablature, with cast-stone columns supporting an ornamented pediment. A larger pediment above the boxed cornice crowns the central composition. A substantial chimney, which projects slightly from the wall plain and breaks though the cornice, is the only other significant feature on the west side. Rectangular window openings with six-over-one double-hung sash, have cast stone sills and are crowned by flat arches with cast-stone keys. The interior originally included a large auditorium, a banquet room and separate men's and ladies' lounges. However, it has been repeatedly remodeled for a wide variety of uses. On the exterior, a restaurant deck has been added on the southwest corner of the second floor. The paneled entry doors and leaded sidelights have been replaced with modern metal-framed plate glass.

Detail for 1530 Queen Anne AVE / Parcel ID 423290-3910 / Inv # QA001

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Social - Clubhouse Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Social Movements & Organizations
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Courtois, Shirley. National Register Nomination Form, Queen Anne Club, 1982.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.
Reinartz, Kay F. Queen Anne: Community on the Hill. Seattle: Queen Anne Historical Society, 1993.

Photo collection for 1530 Queen Anne AVE / Parcel ID 423290-3910 / Inv # QA001


Photo taken Aug 07, 2001

Photo taken Aug 07, 2001

Photo taken Aug 07, 2001
App v2.0.1.0