Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 430-26 YALE AVE / Parcel ID 6847700005 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: O. E. Turnquist Construction Company Common Name: Pilchuk Glass Admin. Office & Caresource
Style: Modern - International Style, Modern - Curtain Wall Neighborhood: Cascade
Built By: Year Built: 1959
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).

This historic property is no longer extant. Based on field examination conducted in January - February 2014, it has been demolished. Specific demolition date has not been established.

This is a very good example of a small Modernist curtain wall building, designed by a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Architecture, W.G Brust, in 1959. It was designed fairly late in his career. It reflects the Modernist trends of the period. Brust, as a University of Pennsylvania graduate would probably have been aware of the work of his more famous Modernist counterparts (such as William Lescaze in Philadelphia and New York). At the same time, the proportioning of the building belies Brust’s early Beaux Arts education at the University of Pennsylvania. This one story building is an office and warehouse addition to the Moderne building located directly to the north at 434 Yale Avenue North, which was also designed by Brust in 1947-48 for the same client and contractor, O. E. Turnquist. W. G. Brust began his own practice in Seattle in 1927 and was known mainly as a church designer in the 1930s and 1940s. He designed the Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church (1929), Our Redeemer Lutheran Church (1946-47) and Hope Lutheran Church (1948). Before starting his own practice, he worked first for E. F. Champney in the 1910s. He was then was in partnership with James Stephen and his son, Frederick Bennett Stephen, another University of Pennsylvania graduate, in the firm of Stephen, Stephen and Brust, between 1920 and 1927. That firm was particularly well known for its school designs. W. G. Brust died in Seattle in 1969. This building also represents the continuing trend within the Cascade neighborhood to build industrial shop and warehouse buildings, which have architectural interest. In 1975, it appears that this building became the “Emergency Veterinary Hospital.” It presently houses administrative offices, for the Pilchuck Glass School and Care Source.
This building is distinguished by its western façade, which consists of curtain wall over a brick veneer plinth. The design of the façade is based on repeated and well proportioned bays, which are subdivided into squares or virtual squares. There is also a variation in the bay size, where the main entry occurs. Structural walls on the exterior and interior are poured concrete and concrete block. It has a flat roof and is basically rectangular in plan, although it has a small bumped out rectangular area in the plan, at the back and to the north, with garage entries.

Detail for 430-26 YALE AVE / Parcel ID 6847700005 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status: INV
Cladding(s): Brick, Concrete, Glass - Curtain Wall Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Other
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Warehouse Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Block No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Manufacturing/Industry
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 430-26 YALE AVE / Parcel ID 6847700005 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Sep 30, 2003
App v2.0.1.0