Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 520 W Kinnear PL W / Parcel ID 3879901530 / Inv #

Historic Name: Marble House Common Name: Marble/Lindsley House
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1890
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Marble/Lindsley House was constructed about 1890. Because of the Great Seattle Fire of June 6, 1889, masons were in high demand to reconstruct the burned down city. Brick contractor Galette Marble (1844-ca 1917) could choose from dozens of job opportunities when he arrived in Seattle during the first half of 1890. Born in New York, by 1865 Marble was living in Minnesota where he married Rachel (b. 1842), who had recently moved from Canada. In June 1890, Galette and wife Rachel purchased some Queen Anne Hill property from land developer George Kinnear and mortgaged the property to finance the construction of a house. Marble knew most aspects of the building trades including carpentry and he likely constructed the house. Within weeks after work on the residence started, the Marbles were living in a partially constructed house. The household included Galette, Rachael, daughters Marion (b. 1870), Adalbott (b. 1858), and Florence (b. 1884). By the end of the year, the house was likely completed, although Marble might have continued working on the house into early 1891. During most of the 1890s, Galette Marble worked as a mason and brick contractor. Marble’s commute to various job sites involved a one block walk from his house to catch the Kinnear Park streetcar line that ran along Olympic Place to downtown Seattle. During the Alaska and Klondike gold frenzy, Marble mined for gold and later operated a cigar store. In December 1891 the Marbles sold the house to Edward and Abbie Lindsley who moved in with their five children; Laurence (age 13), Mabel (age 12), Irena (age 11), Winnie (age 10), and Norman (age 8). Edward Lindsley (b. ca 1853) worked for the south Lake Union Western Mill as a foremen and engineer. After leaving the sawmill he became a teamster. Lindsley, born and raised in Wisconsin, later moved west and in 1877 married Abbie Denny (1858-1915). Washington born Abbie Denny, was the daughter of David and Louisa Denny. David and Louisa Denny were among Seattle’s first Euroamerican settlers and homesteaded the lower Queen Anne and south Lake Union districts. Abbie Lindsley became a well-known local painter and wrote numerous articles for local and regional magazines and newspapers. The Lindsleys lived in the house until August 1895 and remained in Seattle until 1907. Some later owners and occupants. Otto Nelson purchased the house in the early 1920s and owned it until the late 1940s. He worked as a mailer for the Seattle Times. Mrs. Muriel E. Leche lived in the duplex from World War II until the 1960s. She worked as a clerk for American Mail Line, as a nurse, and an office secretary. In 1971, Charles L. Martin purchased the house. Variant addresses: From 1891 through 1895 the address was 120 Elliott. The 1905 and 1917 Sanborn Map lists the house at 600 Kinnear. The 1950 Sanborn map shows the residence at 500 and 522 Kinnear Place. The 1975 Historic Seattle Survey of the Queen Anne neighborhood lists the house as Significant to the City. The 1979 Seattle Historic Resources Survey inventoried the house. Few residences exist from Seattle's first major building boom (1887-1891). The Queen Anne style residence appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 110 years old) with alterations that are sympathetic with original design. Sources (see Reference below for complete citations): Crowley p. 176 (Rachel Mable House 1890) Woodbridge. Guide to Architecture in Washington. p. 197. "Mrs. Mary Maria Lindsley" Meany, Living Pioneers … p. 205. "Seattle-Born Woman and Pioneer Passes." (Abbie Deny Lindsley) Seattle Post-Intelligencer October 8, 1915. Clipping file. Special Collections, University of Washington Library. "Abbie Denny Lindsley Dies at Chelan Home" Seattle Times October 7, 1915. Clipping file. Special Collections, University of Washington Library Sanborn-Perris Map Co., Seattle, Washington. 1893. volume 2 sheet 78.
The Queen Anne style 1890 Marble/Lindsley House with a conical roof tower and curved glass windows. In the 1920s owner Otto Nelson added a rear porch (Permit # 216723), portion of roof altered and an attic window was added (Permit # 218379), and rebuilt porch (in rear?) (Permit # 262310). Some additions added in the 1970s included a shed roof dormer to east side roof, balcony to third floor with door replacing original window, fretwork added to gable end and other architectural details added.

Detail for 520 W Kinnear PL W / Parcel ID 3879901530 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Vertical - Boards, Wood - Drop siding Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Woodbridge, Sally and Roger Montgomery. A Guide to Architecture in Washington State. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1980.
City of Seattle. Seattle Inventory Field Form. 1979.
Meany, Edmond S. Living Pioneers of Washington. Seattle, Seattle Genealogical Society, 1995.
Crowley, Walt. National Trust Guide: Seattle, America's Guide for Architecture and History. Travelers, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1904-1905) 4 volumes.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1916-1919) volumes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Sanborn Map Company. Insurance Maps of Seattle, Washington. (New York, Sanborn Map Company, 1949-1950 update) 11 volumes.
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority. “Queen Anne: An Inventory of Buildings and Urban Design Resources.” Seattle: Historic Seattle, 1975.
Sanborn-Perris Map Company. Seattle, Washington [Maps]. (New York, Sanborn-Perris Map Co., Ltd., 1893) 2 volumes.

Photo collection for 520 W Kinnear PL W / Parcel ID 3879901530 / Inv #

Photo taken May 13, 2003
App v2.0.1.0