Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 716 W Garfield ST W / Parcel ID 186060-0190 / Inv #

Historic Name: Daub-Olwell House Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1908
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This large house was designed in 1908 by the Beezer Brothers for Albert Daub, a vice-president of Consolidated Dairy Productes, and his wife Olive. The Daubs lived here until the 1930s. In 1937 the house was purchased by Eugene Olwell, owner of the Independent Distributing Company, and his wife Genevieve; they remained here until the 1950s. The house seems to be largely intact; additions were made in the 1921 and 1955, but are not apparent. This is one of three houses in this immediate vicinity that were designed by the Beezer Brothers. (The others are 717 W. Garfield Street and 700 W. Lee Street). Twin brothers Louis and Michael Beezer began their architectural practice in 1909, and had many commissions throughout the Northwest, Alaska and California, through the 1920s. Originally from Pennsylvania, they entered the construction and architecture fields there. By 1900 they had a thriving Pittsburgh practice, specializing in churches and residences. By 1909 they had established a practice in Seattle. They are particularly known for their work for the Catholic Church. Besides St. Anne's School, they designed Blessed Sacrament Church ((1909-11; 1922-25), Immaculate Conception School and rectory (1909-1914); and St. Joseph School and rectory (1919-1923). They were also known for their residences, especially the O. D. Fisher residence on Capitol Hill (1908-09). After World War I, much of their work was outside of Seattle, with major commissions in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Walla Walla. Louis established the office in San Francisco, where he died in 1929; Michael retired in 1932 and died the following year.
This Foursquare sits below the grade of West Garfield Street and is difficult to see. The house has a hipped roof with deep eaves and a small hipped dormer in front (south) with two plain casement windows (probably replacements). The entry porch projects at the center of the main fa├žade has two square columns and is topped by a deck with a wood balustrade with a cutout pattern. Leaded glass sidelights, in a floral pattern, flank the door. Most windows are leaded glass in a 28/1 configuration. The large windows on the first floor have stained glass transoms; the deck over the entry has a modern stained glass window. Cladding is narrow clapboard siding on the upper floor, with board-and-batten cladding below and a wide wood belt course between the two materials. The east elevation has a small hipped-roof bay with three windows. The west elevation has two dormers with original multipaned casement windows and a large columned porch with an open deck above. The original detached garage, with matching materials, is at the northeast corner of the lot.

Detail for 716 W Garfield ST W / Parcel ID 186060-0190 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 716 W Garfield ST W / Parcel ID 186060-0190 / Inv #

Photo taken Dec 27, 2004
App v2.0.1.0