Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 5215 S Orcas ST S / Parcel ID 3723800063 / Inv #

Historic Name: Stuart House Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: North Rainier Valley
Built By: Year Built: 1905
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Stuart House was built about 1905. In February 1905 real estate agent Peter O. Steep sold a parcel of land in the Hillman community, located south of the then Seattle city limits, to Benjamin and Anne Stuart. The Stuarts (also spelled Stewart) moved to Seattle in 1902 and Benjamin established a stenographer's business for legal firms and court trials. By 1905, Stuart's firm prospered well enough so that he purchased the property for his family's house. Within two years, Seattle annexed this area to the city. By 1906, Stuart closed his business and left town, but they continued to own the house and rent it. In 1929, after Benjamin died, Anne Stuart inherited the property and though the 1930's she continued renting it out. About 1938, Roy (ca 1895-1950) and Olive (b. ca 1895) Bissett moved into the house and lived there for about 13 years. In 1905, after spending his first decade in Minnesota, Roy moved to Seattle with his parents. At the age of 20, Roy married North Dakota native Olive G. Bissett. Roy worked as a mechanic in the laundry business, initially for a laundry supply company and later for New Richmond Laundry, one of the city's largest laundries. Two of Bissett's sons contributed to WWII; Kenneth (b. 1919) joined the Armed Forces and Ralph (b. 1917) built naval ships at Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding. One year after Roy Bissett's 1950 death, widow Olive sold the house to Pat Cunningham. It is possible that the house existed as early as 1903. The King County Property Record Card states 1903 as the construction date. In 1903, the Polk Seattle directory lists realtor Peter Steep residing in the Hillman community and from 1904 to 1906 on East Main Street in Hilman. This 'address' is in the general vicinity of the parcel so perhaps Steep built and was the first to occupy the house. The 1905 Seattledirectory lists Benjamin Stuart residing at Hillman and the 1906 directory lists him at East Main Street, Hillman. The Stuart House appears to meet City of Seattle Landmark criteria due to the age of the structure (over 100 years old) and minimal alterations.
The Stuart House is a front and wing gable vernacular house. The full width porch on the north elevation is partially enclosed in glass. Gable wall dormer with a box window on north elevation (double window enlarged). Large box window on west elevation. Small one story shed addition on south elevation with window enlarged. One small window added.

Detail for 5215 S Orcas ST S / Parcel ID 3723800063 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 5215 S Orcas ST S / Parcel ID 3723800063 / Inv #

Photo taken Jun 05, 2005
App v2.0.1.0