This intact New Formalist commercial building was constructed in 1973 in the Uptown neighborhood. According to the building construction permit (no. 549884), the building was constructed for Martin Selig by Chester Lindsey Architects with Howard S. Wright serving as contractor.
Chester Lindsey (1927–2003) received his architectural training from Washington State University (then Washington State College) in 1949. A native of Yakima, Lindsey worked briefly in California before arriving in Seattle in 1951. He worked for a series of employers in the city before establishing his own firm in 1957. Lindsey’s early designs in Seattle include the Chevrolet Motors Division building (1960–61) and the Sixth & Lenora Building (1962–63). Lindsey’s career was largely defined by commercial work, designing numerous office buildings in Seattle, and his professional relationship with developer Martin Selig (b. 1936). In addition to the 100 W Harrison towers, Lindsey and his firm also designed for Selig the Metropolitan Park Office Building towers (1988), Fourth and Battery Building (1978), and the soaring 76-story Seafirst Tower/Columbia Center (1985), which was the ninth tallest building in the world when it was completed. Martin Selig arrived in Seattle after fleeing Nazi Germany with his family in 1939 and founded his real estate firm in 1958. Since then, his company has developed some of the city’s largest office buildings.
City of Seattle DCI Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938–1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890–1996.
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Guide to the Architects (Seattle, University of Washington Press: 2014), 2nd edition.