In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to be within and potentially contributing to a potential National Register of Historic Places historic district encompassing the Sacred Heart campus.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This Contemporary style church is in the Uptown neighborhood and known as the Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
The Sacred Heart Parish hired architect John W. Maloney to design the building. R. O. Lund served as the project architect. The drawings were dated to July of 1959. The building featured meeting and storage rooms at the basement level. The south end of the building connected to the existing rectory, also designed by John W. Maloney and was located just east of the existing convent. Worthington, Skilling, Jackson, Helle were the structural engineers. N. D. McDonald Company was the contractor. Timber Structures, Inc. fabricated the glue laminated arched beams supporting the walls and roof at the main sanctuary volume.
The parish had been established at Sixth Avenue and Bell Street in 1889 and opened an elementary school in 1891. The parish moved to the current site in 1928 and built the Sacred Heart School and Chapel that same year at the northeast corner of Warren Avenue and John Street, followed by the Sister’s Convent in 1929, and then the Rectory in 1959.
As part of the 1960 church construction, the congregation shipped logs from Washington state to Italy to have them carved into statues for use in the new church.
The building is also under 231 Second Avenue N. The overall site and permit records are listed under 160 John Street.
John W. Maloney (1896–1978) was born in Sacramento and moved to the Puget Sound by the early 1900s. Maloney attended the University of Washington and Stanford University. He established his practice in Yakima in 1922 where he designed the eleven story, Art Deco A. E. Larson Building (1931). In 1943 Maloney opened an office in Seattle. His career included a wide range of commercial buildings as well as academic buildings for university campuses across the state. As a sole practitioner, Maloney also designed numerous buildings for the Catholic Church, including St. Benedict Catholic Church in Wallingford (ca. 1958), Holy Family Church in West Seattle (ca. 1956), St. Anne Church and Rectory on Queen Anne Hill (1960), and St. Thomas Seminary in Kenmore (1958). This work all occurred within a similar timeframe as his work at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church campus in Uptown. In 1963, Maloney took on partners as he looked ahead to retirement in 1970. The firm name changed to Maloney, Herrington, Freesz & Lund.
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, ed., Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Guide to the Architects (Seattle, University of Washington Press: 2014), 2nd edition.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938–1972), Washington State Archives.
Northwest Catholic News. “Parish at Seattle’s Center ‘Has Seen it All.’” (December 2, 2014. URL: http://www.nwcatholic.org/news/local/seattle-center-parish. Accessed July 19, 2018.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890–1996.
Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish website. “Church History.” https://www.sacredheartseattle.com/79. Accessed July 19, 2018.
Washington State Department of Archaeology and Historic Places. Architect Biographies. “John W. Maloney.” Accessed July 19, 2018. https://dahp.wa.gov/historic-preservation/research-and-technical-preservation-guidance/architect-biographies/bio-for-john-w-Maloney