Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
This property is part of the Salmon Bay Park Addition to the City of Seattle. It was recorded on January 9, 1890. The owner is listed as Elon W. Denton.
The 1940 Census lists Harold A. McClellan living at this address. It also indicates that he lived here in 1935, as well. His occupation is listed as washer. His education is listed as “elementary school 8th grade.” His wife is listed as Margaret McClellan, birthplace “French Canada.” She was a naturalized citizen. Her education is listed as “elementary school 8th grade” also.
Harold McClellan is listed in the city directories in 1922 and 1926 as a laundryman living at 2018 Jackson. In 1955 and 1958 he is listed as living at 7323 and his occupation is machinist.
The Social Security Death Index notes:
Harold McClellan born March 24 1905. Died June 1986.
Margaret McClellan born June 15, 1895. Died January 1976.
The Seattle Times and Seattle Daily Times have several entries in the 1940s noting Harold McClellan participating in the Seattle Times Annual Salmon Derby.
The side sewer card for this address notes that the sewer permit was issued on April 9, 1930. The owner is M. J. Booth, inc. The contractor is Lib. Patricelli.
The King County Parcel Viewer lists the following sales of the property:
1993 John and Terry Stendera sold to Carol Rzeszewicz.
1998 Carol Rzeszewicz sold to Paula Lukoff.
2009 Paula Lukoff sold to Benjamin Altmeier and Catherine Muth