Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
Religious building, built in 1927.
This church has had a long and fruitful history in Ballard:
Although this particular building was built in 1927, the original congregation had a church on this site since 1916.
Some curious sounding sermons were spoken at the Bethany Baptist Church, including one by Rev. Charles A. Cook, in 1929 titled: "The Supernatural in the Christian Life". This one was spoken during morning exercises. Some newspaper articles suggests he was the pastor of a similar church located in West Seattle.
By 1930, Hugh P. Andrews, became the new pastor of Bethany Baptist Church. Some Seattle Times articles had suggested that he was acting pastor for several years. He would go on to preach a sermon titled: "Save Yourselves From This Crooked Generation" in May of the same year.
By 1932 Antrim H. Nickell became the Bethany Baptist Church pastor. Nickell had been a Baptist pastor throughout Seattle for years, prior to preaching at the Ballard location. He was also a pastor at this same location before the current building was built.
In 1937, the Rev. Earle H. Cleveland (Eunice J., wife) became pastor of the church. He took over for longstanding Antrim H. Nickell, who had to resign due to illness. By 1940 a Sander V. Johnson (painter) had taken up residence in this church, presumably as caretaker. According to a Seattle Daily Times article from January 16, 1937, the Rev. Earle Cleveland and his church held services for children only (under 15). It was one of two churchs in Seattle at the time that had such services. Additionally, an obituary from the Seattle Daily Times in 1955 suggests that the Cleveland family moved to Wisconsin, but that Eunice Cleveland was the daughter of Walter Creasey, a pioneering child of Washington state.
By 1943, a Ralph I. Cranston (Muriel C., wife) was the pastor of Bethany Baptist Church. According to a Seattle Daily Times advertisement, "He has thrilled countless thousands in Europe - Saxophonist Supreme". Articles suggest he was a pastor at this location throughout most of the 1940s.
By around 1957, the Richard W. Bishop was pastor at this location but transferred to another church (Faith Temple). Bishop had been the Bethany Baptist Church pastor throughout most of the 1940s and 1950s.
Sometime during the late 1950s and early 1960s the church name was changed to Bethany Assembly, and the Rev. John H. McCullough took over. He remained the paster at the now Bethany Assembly up until 1967. On September 6, 1969, this church held it's final service in the current building and moved to 8023 Green Lake Drive North. Reason for the move was for remolding.
On October 25th 1969, the Evangelical Chinese Church (a non denominational church) moved in, John Sun as pastor. It appear the church was active until at least 1974. The church name was changed around the late 70s to early 80s to The Church of Divine Man.
By 1981 it appears the church was renamed once again to the Washington Psychic Institute. But it was also known as The Church of Divine Man-Washington Psychic Institute.It was transformed into a private residence in 2006.
Note, I was not able to locate when the current building ever housed the Second Swedish Baptist Church (some seem to think it once did). That assembly appears to have been housed 20th Ave NW and NW 63rd.
• Seattle Daily Times, September 21st 1920: Pastor Nickell
• Seattle Daily Times, September 7th 1929: "Fall Programs Scheduled For Church Crowds"
• Seattle Daily Times, January 2nd 1937: "New Pastor"
• Seattle Daily Times, May 3rd 1930: "150th Anniversary of Sunday Schools..."
• Seattle Daily Times, January 16th 1937: "Churches for Children Only"
• Seattle Times, February 5, 1944: "The Revival Is On!"
• Seattle Times, February 14th 1948: Cranston
• Seattle March 4, 1955: Obit
• Seattle Times, September 6th 1969: "Church Move"
• Seattle Times, September 14th 1969: "Church Move"
• Seattle Times October 25th 1969: "Church Move"
• Seattle Times, October 14th 1980 "Church of Divine Man"
• Seattle Times, June 9th 1981, "Church of Divine Man Healing"
• Seattle Times, October 2nd 1982, "Church of Divine Man Fair"
• Change in Building Use
• 1924 Sermon
• Plat Map
• Archive Photo
|Constructed in 1927, this church includes a two story front-gabled main structure, with a two story flat-roofed tower on the northwest corner with round windows near the top and arched stained glass near the middle of the tower. The entry door is at the base of the tower, and has an arched window above the door and a newer aluminum awning. The primary gabled structure includes a dramatic arched stained glass window on the front façade and a round window beneath the gable peak. Secondary facades include additional multi-pane windows with arched openings above, as well as additional entries. Although this building has likely experienced many changes, it still conveys its history and retains many aspects of integrity.