Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
The home was built in 1930 with A. M. Henry listed as fee/owner with tenants at $25.00/month. In 1931 the residents are Russell and Jennie Woods. He’s a bellman. From 1932-33 Fried W. and Lucille Barkus are in the city directory as residing at this address. In 1935 the residents are Stanley and Ruth Jackson. Based on a property card it’s possible the home was owned all along by Robert D. Nelson, but was a rental until 1940.
As of 1940 the city directory lists Robert D. and M. Pearl Nelson as residents. He’s a salesman for Kraft Cheese & Co. Unfortunately Mr. Nelson died in 1954 just three weeks after being diagnosed with a heart problem. They had relocated from Ballard in 1949 to Richmond Beach. He was survived by his wife Pearl, and a son Jack.
The next resident of record was Jack Troyer in 1956, listed as a printer, age 26, in a drunk driving incident in Seattle Daily Times. He was fined $20 but a year later his fine was $90 for another incident. In 1960 he married Dorothy of Seattle but he died at just 42 years old in 1972.
Since 1991 the owner has been Linda Andrew.