Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Mixed use, complex. Built in 1926.
Locations at this address: 6406, 6408, 6410, 6412, 6414
Shortly after the multi-use complex was built (1928), the Sunset Hill Beauty Parlor was located
at 6408 and reamined as such until at least 1940. Ornstein's Meat Market and the Sunset Hill
Public Market was located at 6410. A Mrs. Lillian Huch resided in one of two apartments (6414)
from 1928 until at least 1931. Something to note, the nearby by Beach Pharmacy was located at
6416, an address not currently an address in use, and remained there until at least 1940.
Additionally, the pharmacist of this business resided at 7003 24th Ave NW (Unique ID 123).
By 1940, 6406 became the Sunset Hill Barber Shop, joining side-by-side with the Sunset Hill
Beauty Parlor. The meat market at 6410 became the market of George Johnson, and the grocery
store adjacent became the responsibility of Walter S. Harrah.
During this time, in the apartments within the building, Edmund Braun lived at 6414 and Floyd
W. Webb lived at 6412.
Sometime during the 1960's the ownership of Beach Pharmacy was transferred to the Otterson
family (Harry T. Otterson as owner). In a rather startling Seattle Times article from December
24, 1969. Roy and Gerald Otterson, then both young men, stopped a burglary of their store
around 2 in the morning.
By 1971 it was time for Beach Pharmacy to close doors. The Seattle Times May 13 1971 ad
states: "QUITTING business - Beach Pharmacy is sacrificing all merchandise and fixtures at
drastically reduced prices."
• 1928 - 1940 Directories
• Seattle Times, "Quitting Business"
• Seattle Times, "Pharmacist's Son Foils Burglary, 3 Arrested"
• Plat Map 1888
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.