Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
7745 33rd Avenue NW
BALLARD WATER-FRONT ADD LOTS 5-6-43 & 44
PLat Block: 4
Plat Lot: PORTIONS
This home originally belonged to Arthur W. Tenney. He was considered an early settler in Seattle arriving with his parents from Plymouth, Iowa in the late 1880’s. He began working for University National Bank as a teller in 1906 and retired as Vice-President in 1953. He remained on as a director. He was a president and life member of Lions Club and Exalted Ruler of Ballard Elks Lodge #827. He died in his home in March 1955. He and his wife Lillian had been in the home since it was built in 1937. Before the house on 33rd he and his wife resided at 5602 15th NW. His mother-in-law Jane Barthelemy lived with them.
As of 1960 Gary A. Card is shown at that address along with other family members, including his mother Mrs. Alice Card. He’s listed as cook at Totem House Fish & Chips. The Totem House was built by Ballard Locks in 1939 as a place to sell Native American goods. It had reopened as a restaurant in 1945 after World War II. Totem House closed in 2011 but was reopened by Red Mill Burgers. Gary A. and Judy M. Card are shown as owning the Totem House Fish n’ Chips until 2006 although the residence on 33rd was sold to Richard Folsom & Christie Most in 1999.