Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
This house is in a cluster of 1.5 story brick homes built in 1929 as part of the Ballard Waterfront Addition. Per the Side Sewer card, the owner was C. McFarland of 7740 33rd Ave NW and the contractor was L. Reccheo (who also built 7744 and 7748 33rd Ave NW).
The property was first listed in the paper in 1930 was inhabited by Ralph O Austin from 1931 to at least 1934.
The home changed hands many times over the years, from Neil Forsman by 1936 to James C Adams, a salesman for the Lewis Motor Company, and his wife Ruth by 1938; then to Louis Marino by 1941 and Ronald W and Ruth Carlson Heron by 1943. Mr. Heron, Vice President of a Truck Welding & Equipment Company, left his home to his wife, who ultimately sold it in 1964. Jack and Frances Oakes had it listed again in 1967. Richard and Elaine Powlesland were in the home by 1973. There have been at least three other owners since 2001.
Side Sewer Cards
Seattle Daily Times
Seattle City Directories 1931, 1934, 1938, 1940, 1948/49, 1955 and 1964
King County Assessor’s Database