Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
Single family tudor home, built in 1928.
According to the sewer card, the Owner was Hans Floathe. A known building contractor, and president of the Seattle Builders & Contractors.
From 1931 - 1938: Olaf Pedersen and Annie T resided at this address. He was a gas station employee (quite possibly owner) at 3526 Fremont Pl. By 1940 they had moved out - where they later moved to 7702 33rd Ave NW.
By 1940: Torvald C. Simmons, however it doesn't appear that he lived there very long. According to a July 23, 1942 Seattle Daily Times article regarding a rabid dog, the L. J. Malnoti family resided there.
By 1944 the Schmidt family resided here, Samual Schmidt and family.
From 1948 - 1959 the family of Ralph L Gregg resided at this residence. Ralph was a physician and married to Gladys (not to be confused with the Seattle Resident Ralph Gregg, a retired Public Health Official from Edmonds. The two were friends and co-workers, however). Dr. Gregg was also an active member in the community and a co-chairman with the New Ballard General Hospital.
1963 Newspaper article (December 3rd) reports that a Albert Godfrey resided here, but passed away. He was married to Shirley R and had at least one daughter, Vera Elofson.
1979 Newspaper article (January 4th). Michael and Linda Gooch resided there, and lived at this address until at least 1982.