Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2461 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788200430 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Lackore Residence Common Name: 14 Bennett Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1920
This very small and simple one-story clapboard-clad bungalow has been altered with new window sash and changes to the entry and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owner (1928) was a nurse, Lillian Lackore. The home was owned by Taylor J. Egbert in 1938. In 1948, Walter D. Woodard, a Boeing employee, & wife Phyllis owned the house. The home was owned by a student, John Q. & Marilyn Cope in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This simple one-story clapboard-clad bungalow has been altered with new window sash and changes to the entry. It is oriented sideways and sits above the street on a small narrow lot with rockery and picket fence. A single garage at grade with the street has a newer door; its roof provides a terrace on the east side of the house. The house has a rectangular plan and side-gable roof with shallow eaves and a brick chimney on the east gable wall. The north-facing entry has a concrete stoop, panel door with arched light and gabled hood with narrow square post supports. Windows on either side of the entry are vinyl sliders with false muntins and a small gabled projection on the west end has a 1/1 window. Tall 10-light French windows flank the chimney.

Detail for 2461 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788200430 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2461 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788200430 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0