Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2020 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200465 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Posner Residence Common Name: 14 Critney Residence
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1941
This intact Minimal Traditional residence is generally intact and is one of three houses on the block built during WW II, reflecting the need for wartime housing. It is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The home was owned by Edythe Posner  of Park's Fifth Avenue, Sally Frocks, in 1948. It was owned by Frank P. MacKenzie (General Insurance) and his wife Nona in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References;

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004. 

This one-story clapboard-clad cottage has an irregular plan and shallow cross gables in a gable front and wing form; the front gable has board and batten cladding. The entry has a concrete porch and a slightly recessed opening with carved surround for the newer door with false panels and a 12-light window. The window to the right is a 6/6 sash and a basement garage below this has an original tilt-up door with 2 small diamond lights. A three-part canted bay to the left of the entry has a 12-light sash flanked by narrower 4/4 sash. The entry and windows all have metal awnings. Windows on other elevations are similar. A large brick chimney is on the west gable wall. The house is above the street on a lot with planted rockery lawn and shrubs.

Detail for 2020 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200465 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2020 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200465 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0