Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2420 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200210 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Gleason Residence Common Name: 16 Hill Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival, Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1919
This residence built in 1919 has been altered with new cladding and a second-story addition that has significantly changed the building's original character, and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were Willis W. & Maxine Gleason in 1938. The home was owned by Charles T. Murphy, a bricklayer, and is wife, Mary from 1948 to 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This residence built in 1919 has been altered with new cladding and a second-story addition. This two-story house is on a sloping mid-block lot with lawn, hedges and foundation shrubs. It has a front-gable roof with wide eaves and brackets on the main, front part of the house; a stucco chimney is near the center of the roof; the second story rear addition has a side-gable roof. Cladding is stucco on the lower level and clapboard in the gables and second-story. The front porch is inset at the southeast corner and has a Craftsman style door with 16 square lights in the upper half. Paired multi-light casement sash and three single multi-light casement sash face onto the porch; two similar window groups are on the west elevation; a picture window with a 4-light transom is on the left of the primary façade and a square louvre vent is in the front gable.

Detail for 2420 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200210 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2420 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200210 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0