Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2414 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200205 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Mershon Residence Common Name: 16 Carlsen Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1924
This bungalow built in 1924 has minor alterations, including replacement vinyl sash and slight changes to the entry. Despite these it is generally intact and retains its historic Colonial Bungalow character. Built in 1924, it associated with the 1920s-era of development in the Montlake neighborhood and is a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house, in 1938, were John I. Mershon, a cashier at Edwin D. Neupert, and his wife Blanche. The home was owned by the Francis A. Haberberger & his wife Virginia (Executive Assistant to Office Manager, Federal Housing Administration) in 1948. In 1958 the home was owned by Lester S. Antles, an engineer at Dewitt C. Griffin, and his wife Jean.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004. 

This one-and-half story clapboard-clad bungalow is above the street on a sloping lot with low rockery, lawn and foundation shrubs. It has a side-gable roof with returns and no eaves; a brick chimney is on the west gable wall. The primary façade is symmetrical and has a small concrete porch sheltered by a segmental arch portico with columns at the center; the door is wood panel with 4 small lights in the upper third. Paired 6/1 vinyl sash flank the porch; other windows are similar replacement sash.

Detail for 2414 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200205 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2414 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200205 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0