Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2407 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200-931 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Beneke Residence Common Name: 24 Schlenker Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1923
This is a generally intact example of a Craftsman bungalow. A smaller porch has replaced the original, but it retains its historical character. Built in 1923, it is associated with the 1920s-era development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Clarence J Benecke, a superintendent at Supply Lindy Company, and his wife, Erma.  It was owned by John R. & Mary Toller in 1938. The owners in 1938 were Alex R. & Ivy Bannerman in 1948 and, in 1958, a chef, W. C. Howard.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one story Craftsman bungalow is rectangular in plan and has a side gable roof with brackets and bargeboards in the eaves and clapboard cladding. A small gabled dormer with vent is at the center of the roof ridge. The façade has a gabled hanging bay on the left with a window group of wider sash flanked by narrower sash, all composed of divided lights over single light in wood sash. Other windows are similar original wood sash either paired, singly or grouped. A brick walkway leads to the entry on the right. The wood porch entry has a wood stair, rails and balustrade sheltered by a gabled pediment on square posts with a wood frame and glass patterned light door with patterned sidelights. A brick chimney is on the north gable wall. The lot is relatively flat with lawn, shrubs and trees. A detached garage (1942) with original panel door is in the northwest corner.

Detail for 2407 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200-931 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2407 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200-931 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0