Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2207 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200746 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Baxter Residence Common Name: 23 Crevier residence
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1916
This former one-story cottage was renovated in 2008, including a second story addition, new cladding, windows and entry porch. It is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  A teacher at Garfield High School, Kirk S. Baxter, and his wife, Eugenie, owned the home in 1928. Frank W. Smith (Wholesale Lumber) and his wife, Hilda were the owners from at least 1938 through 1948. In 1958, John W. Boyd, an accountant at Pollack Paper, and his wife, Amelia owned it

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This house sits above the street with concrete stairs and walkway, groundcovers and shrubs. It is two stories with a hipped roof has metal cladding on the lower level and stained wood siding on the upper story. The porch inset on the west side of the main façade has a concrete planter, stair and porch with metal rails and flat cantilevered roof. Paired 6-light casement windows face onto the porch and a group of four 6-light casement windows are on the east side of the façade. A metal balcony projecting above has two paired plain glass doors and a basement garage entry bay below has a hipped metal clad roof and glass panel door.

Detail for 2207 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200746 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Metal, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Eaves Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2207 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200746 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0