Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1627 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788202205 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Knudson Residence Common Name: 19 McCall Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1940
This 1940 Garrison Revival House has alterations to the cladding and windows that have reduced its historical integrity so that it does not contribute to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were Dr. Wendell C. & Fran Knudson in 1948. It was owned by a UW professor, Richard B.  Walker and his wife, Helen in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two-story Garrison Revival house sits on a poured concrete foundation, is clad with clapboard siding and concrete, and has a side-gabled roof clad with asphalt shingles. The first story façade features an off-centered wood-paneled front door on a three-step concrete riser. The door is flanked by a pair of fluted wood columns with footings and caps, which are flush to the house. A projecting flat roofed shelter is above the door and  supported by small braces.  To the right of the entry is a pair or multi-light vinyl sash, and one identical window is to the left of the entry. All windows on the first story of this façade are flanked by painted wood shutters. The second story façade is clad in concrete, and features four gable dormers, beneath which are pairs of twelve-light vinyl casement sash. An internal brick chimney is visible from the sidewalk.

Detail for 1627 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788202205 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Concrete, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1627 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788202205 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0