Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1926 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200535 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Burke Residence Common Name: 13 Voller Residence
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1907
This two-story house, constructed in 1907, was completely remodeled with new additions that  altered the original porch/entry, massing and rooflines. It is not a contributing resource to the  Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners were Donald Burke, warehouseman, W. P. Fuller & Co.  and his wife, Winifred in 1948. The home was owned by Reginald DeLaittre, a salesman,  and his wife,  Zeta in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two-story house was completely remodeled with new additions prior to 1957, which altered the original porch/entry, form and rooflines. This two-story house has an irregular plan with a gable-front-and wing form, shallow eaves and clapboard cladding. The main body is side gabled with a projecting front gable on the left side of the façade and a two-story cross gable addition on northwest corner that projects above the main roofline, creating multiple crossing rooflines. The entry at the el has a brick clad stoop, metal railing and newer door with an arched light. Windows are paired and single hung vinyl sash. It sits on a relatively flat lot with lawn and a hedge along the west side of the property.

Detail for 1926 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200535 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1926 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200535 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0