Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2465 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200511 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Webb Residence Common Name: 13 Seto Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This large Tudor Revival style residence is intact and a good example of the style. It is associated with 1920s-era the development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. In 1938 Henry C. Webb, Assistant General Salesmanager, Puget Sound Power & Light Company, and his wife Abbie owned the house. Howard A. Cook, Superintendent, University Plumbing & Heating Company, and his wife Bessie owned it in 1948. An employee of Guild Forty-Fifth Street Theatre, Robert Clark, and his wife Zella owned the home in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This large two-and-half story house has an irregular plan and a steep side-gable roof with returns. The clapboard cladding on the lower level has an unusual coursed pattern; gables are stucco-clad. A tall brick chimney is on the north gable wall. A gabled entry bay projects from the right side of the primary, east façade; the roof slope extends to the south to shelter an arched opening for the recessed entry. The entry has brick stairs and stoop, a Tudor door with grilled arched light, and a metal grill security door. A gabled wall dormer projects from the center of the front roof slope. The focal window in the entry bay is a grouping of cottage windows with leaded patterned lights in the upper sash; a wide one flanked by two narrower ones. All other primary windows are similar paired or single cottage sash windows and there are several small arched leaded windows. Narrow arched vents are in the top of all of the gable walls and dormers. A large gable roof dormer on the rear has an inset balcony with a low hip wall and flat roof on metal supports. The basement garage, below the northwest corner, has a newer rollup door. The house is on a corner lot with lawn and foundation shrubs. A privacy wall around the south part of the yard is clad to match the house.

Detail for 2465 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200511 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2465 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 6788200511 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0