Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1914 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200525 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Jarvis Residence Common Name: 13 Remley Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1919
This residence, built in 1919, is intact and is a typical example of a Colonial Revival Bungalow. It is associated with the early development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner was Norman I. Jarvis, a clerk (Shell Co.) in 1928. Margaret Haggland, stenographer at Great Northern Railway, owned it in 1938

James M. Hutcheson, editor, with the Associated Press his wife, Dorothy owned it in 1948. In 1958,  Shay & Sylvia Suckerman, an employee of K. Coffee & Smoke Shop.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story bungalow sits slightly above the street with a low rockery, lawn and foundation shrubs. It has a rectangular plan with a clipped side-gable roof and coursed wood shingle cladding. Toward the left of the front roof slope is a clipped gable dormer with paired casement sash; a brick chimney is to the right of the dormer. The entry on the right is sheltered by clipped gable roof supported by heavy square columns with a single French door and concrete porch; four-over-one paired casements are to the right of the door. A group of four six-over-one sash is to the right of the porch; the middle sashes are fixed and the outer sashes are casements. Windows on the east elevation are similar casement sash. 

Detail for 1914 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200525 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
Karin Link, “400 Dexter Avenue North, Seattle, WA – South Lake Union,” “Historic Property Inventory Report,” City of Seattle Historic Neighborhood Inventory Database. 2005.

Photo collection for 1914 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200525 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0