Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2457 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0101 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Peterson Residence Common Name: 17 Root Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1932
This residence is a good example of a the Tudor Revival style.  Built in 1932, it is associated with 1930s-era development in the Montlake area.  It has been somewhat altered, with a gable dormer addition on the façade and rear second-story addition, but it retains its original character and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners were Elmer C. & Hazel Peterson in 1928. In 1938, it was owned by Francis J. & Louise Engel, a manager at Bissinger & Company, William H. Smith, and his wife, Ruth owned it in 1948. Howard T. Storie, a salesman at Hearst Advertising Services, and his wife, Lois were the owners in 1958.


Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story Tudor Revival is rectangular in plan and a gable front and wing form, with a prominent gable on the left, south side; an additional single-story turret projects from the right side of the façade and a large gabled dormer addition is near the center. Primary cladding is brick; the dormer, side gables, and rear second-story addition are clad in clapboard. The front gable eaves extend towards the center to shelter the entry enclosure facing north. The door is not visible; a leaded diamond light window on the façade lights the entry.  A side-entry on the north elevation has a gabled hood and a brick chimney is on the south gable wall. The front gable has a large leaded light arched window with a stained glass coat-of-arms detail in the center; the turret has leaded divided light casements and other visible windows are 8-over-one leaded divided lights or one-over one sash. The south side of the front gable has a skylight. A detached brick-clad concrete garage (1932) with newer vinyl door and a porch above it is near the front of the north side of the sloped lot. The lot is landscaped with planted rockery and shrubs, and there is a large mature conifer tree near the southeast corner.

Detail for 2457 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0101 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2457 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 678820-0101 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0