Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2522 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-0090 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Einzig Residence Common Name: 17 Tuttle Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1924
This one-and-half story residence is generally intact and a good example of a Colonial Revival Bungalow. Built in 1924, it is associated with 1920s-era the development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners were William (Jane) Einzig in 1928, a purchasing agent at International Wood & Sulphite Company. Franklyn R. Armstrong, a clerk, and his wife, Elizabeth were the owners from at least 1938 through 1948. A Boeing employee, Henry H. & Susanne Seaman owned it in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story bungalow is rectangular in plan and has a side-gable roof with boxed eaves and returns and a symmetrical facade; cladding is wood clapboard. The central entry has a wood panel door with patterned sidelights sheltered by a gabled segmental hood with column supports. Wood arbors on similar supports extend from both sides to cover the full-width concrete porch.  Fixed sash picture windows with shutters flank the entry and a similar sash is on the west elevation. A shallow box bay on the west elevation has paired divided light sashes over single sashes. Other windows are similar sash either single or paired. A brick chimney is on the east gable wall. The house sits slightly above the street with terraced rockeries, groundcovers, shrubs and deciduous trees. A two-track driveway on the west side leads to a detached garage (1937).

Detail for 2522 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-0090 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2522 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 678820-0090 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0