Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2314 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788201425 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Kirchner Residence Common Name: 31 Pettijohn Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This residence has changes to the original entry, including a second-story addition over the original porch enclosure. Despite this, it retains its Tudor Revival character and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From at least 1928, through 1948 George C. Kirchner, a music teacher at the UW, and his wife, Helen owned the house. It was owned by Ralph O. & Florence Boden in 1958; he was a supervisor at Stuart G. Thompson Company.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This 2-story house sits above the street on a corner lot with rockery, groundcovers, hedges, shrubs and small trees. It has a cross-gable roof with a prominent gable on the south half of the main façade, brackets and bargeboards; the roof is clad in wood shakes. The gabled two-story entry enclosure at the center of the façade has stairs and balustrade on both sides, a central large rectangular opening with balustrade on the front, and an original wood panel door with beveled glass lights flanked by beveled glass sidelights.  A three part canted bay is to the right of the entry and a shed dormer is on the north side of the façade. Most windows are 6 or 8-light casement sash in pairs or groups. A full-width enclosed porch with vertical ribbon windows and a deck above is on the north elevation; a stucco chimney on the north gable wall projects above it.  

Detail for 2314 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788201425 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Wood - Shake
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2314 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 6788201425 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0