Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2048 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722100170 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 38 Daniels residence
Style: Tudor, Tudor - Jacobethan Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1913
This residence has been somewhat altered, including the expansion of an original smaller gabled bay which was centered over the entry enlarged to become a larger crossing front-gable roofline over the north third of the façade.  

Despite this, it generally retains its original  Tudor character.  Built in 1913, it is associated with the early development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

The earliest known owners of this house, in 1928,  were William C. Lewis, VP at Westcoast Investment Co. (Real Estate), and his wife,  Alice.

The home was owned by a physician, Raymond E. Seth, and his wife, Helen in 1938. In 1948, the home was owned by John B. Riley, a physician, and his wife, Elizabeth.The home was owned by Allen G. Chellis, a bridge engineer at Washington Toll Bridge Authority, Lenella in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This two-story Tudor revival style residence sits on a lot with a shallow setback, lawn and foundation shrubs. It has a cross-gable roof with a larger crossing front gable on the south end of the façade, deep eaves and wide bargeboards. Cladding is shingle on the first story and stucco with false timbering on the second story. A two-story gabled bay projects from the center of the façade. The recessed entry vestibule north of the bay has a concrete stoop, pointed arch opening and wood panel door with arched light. The three part canted window in the bay has paired and single multiple-light casement sash. Paired 6/1 windows are in the gable on the south and the gable on the north end has compatible 12-light casement sash windows. Two interior brick chimneys protrude from the roof ridge.

Detail for 2048 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722100170 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2048 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722100170 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0