Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2235 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 8722100360 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 37 Chang residence
Style: Spanish - Mission Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1920
This residence is a unique and generally intact example of the Mission Revival style. Built in 1920, is associated with the 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house, in 1928, were Miles H. Jones, the president at Jones-Ankeny Company, and his wife, Elizabeth.The home was owned in 1938 by John A. McColl,  a manager at Rubenstein's Incorporated, and his wife,  Josephine. In 1948, Sidney Coe, (Angle Inn; Latona Beverages), and his wife Helen owned the house.The home was owned by Mac J. Roebuck, a sales engineer at Bumstead Woolford, and his wife, Ernestine in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This one-story Mission-Revival style residence sits above the street on a corner lot with rockery, shrubs and trees. It has a flat roof with shaped parapet; a hipped-roof bell tower vestibule with arcaded façade is on the roof. It has brick cladding that it is scored and laid in an unusual bond pattern of alternating shiner and stretcher courses. The hipped roof arcaded entry porch extends across three-fourths of the main east façade and wraps around the north corner; it has three bays on the front and one on each side, stucco clad square corner posts and wide arched beams, and spaced wide columns with wood balustrade. The three-part focal window facing onto the porch has a wide sash flanked by narrower sash. Other visible windows include vinyl 1/1 hung sash and sliders. An attached basement garage on the north elevation has original paired panel doors with arched divided lights; a rooftop patio on the garage is accessible via a single French door on the rear west elevation of the house

Detail for 2235 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 8722100360 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2235 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 8722100360 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0