Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2142 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 1880000045 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 35 Steinberg Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1947
This residence is a good and generally intact example of the Garrison Revival style. It is associated with post-WWII-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

The plat known as Dahlialand was named after Dahlialand Gardens, a store run by Mrs. J.W. Wheeler. The store, which was established by 1924, was demolished in 1962, and the land is now houses St. Demetrious Church. Dahlialand Gardens occupied a large tract of land between Boyer Avenue East, East Lynn Street, and 19th Avenue East. The earliest known owners of this house were S. Harvard Kaufman, Director of the Seattle Guidance Clinic and Section Head of the  State Dept. of Health, and his wife Leone, in 1948; they reamined at least through 1958.

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two-story house is generally square in plan and has brick and clapboard cladding and a hipped oof. The entry is centered and slightly recessed, and is flanked by double-hung vinyl sash with false muntins. The first story is clad in brick. The second story overhangs the first, and is clapboard clad. There are two double-hung vinyl sash with false muntins as well as a circular vent. An interior brick chimney extends from behind the front wall. There is a gabled dormer at the rear of the house that faces east. It has a modern palladian window, and is not original to the house.  A freestanding garage once sat at the rear of the property, but it has been replaced with an attached garage. 

Detail for 2142 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 1880000045 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2142 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 1880000045 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0