Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1968 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100415 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Clawson Residence Common Name: 47 Young Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
This residence has been altered with new standing seam metal roof cladding and the addition of a large open wood porch on the main façade; it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District.  The earliest known owners of this house were James I. Lawson, Secretary-Treasurer of Clawson Inc., and his wife, Louise. They owned the home from the 1920s through the 1940s. The home was owned by Roger C. & Betty Gibson in 1958; he worked at Gibson's Business Management.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.




This 1-1/2 story coursed shingle-clad bungalow sits on a corner lot with lawn and a hedge on the north side. It has a clipped side-gable roof, boxed eaves and returns, a crossing clipped gable on the south half of the façade, and a brick chimney on the south gable wall. A full-width open wood porch which wraps around the north corner has wood steps and wood slat balustrade. The entry on the north end of the façade has a gabled hood with curved brackets, wood-frame and glass door with divided sidelights. A group of three8/1 wood sash windows is on the front gable wall and an arched vent is in the gable. A hipped roof bay on the south elevation has similar windows and 8-light wood sash windows flank the chimney. The north elevation has some vinyl replacement sash and an ADA ramp leading to a side entry. A basement garage is below the east end of the north elevation.

Detail for 1968 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100415 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Metal - Standing Seam
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1968 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 8712100415 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0