Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2552 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 8805900400 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Evans Residence Common Name:
Style: Other Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1937
This house is in the Union City Addition. This home was built on spec for builder Edwin C. Edwards. The earliest known owners, in 1938, were Robert H. (Hermie) Evans, who was a lawyer with Evans, McLaren, and Littell. In 1948 the owners were John A. and Louise McEvoy of J. A. McEvoy Lumber Company, who remained at least through1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This two-story residence sits high above the street on a corner lot with a rockery, mature shrubs and lawn. The house has a hipped roof with no overhangs and a decorative wave motif trim detail at the eaves. It has clapboard siding and a symmetrical facade with a brick chimney penetrating the roof to the west of center. Wide concrete steps and a walk lead to the flush entry in the center. The double wood entry doors with chevron detailing and wide pilasters are sheltered by a metal shed roof supported by knee braces. A small octagonal window is on the second story above the entry and this center section of the facade is framed by prominent downspouts running the height of the building on either side of the entry. Large three-part wood sash windows with horizontally divided lights flank the entry. The second story has four-over-four wood double-hung windows with decorative metal x-patterned elements in front of the lower sash. These windows are typical on the non-primary facades. A concrete driveway leads to a slightly projecting basement garage with a newer paneled door. Concrete steps lead up to the rear yard to the north of the driveway and a covered secondary entrance on the east facade.

Detail for 2552 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 8805900400 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2552 20TH AVE / Parcel ID 8805900400 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Apr 30, 2010
App v2.0.1.0