Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1965 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0710 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Downie Residence Common Name: 46 Stanton Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This residence is an example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1924, it is associated with the 1920s developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood. It remains intact and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Willis I. & Eleanor Downie; he was a salesman for AG Manufacturing Co. It was owned by Marshall Hopkins, president of Northwest Paper Sales Co., with his wife, Marguerita, in the late 1930s. In the late 1940s through at least the 1950s, the owners were Gordon F. & Alice Hamilton of Johnson & Hamilton mortuary.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-story Craftsman bungalow has a side-gabled roof with a wide projecting front gabled porch at the north end and a gabled hanging box bay on the south facade, all with knee braces. It is clad in clapboard siding with coursed shingles in the gable ends. The roof over the raised wood porch is supported by square wood posts atop tall brick piers.  Wood porch steps have stepped brick sidewalls with concrete caps. The door is wood with a 4-part window in the upper half. To the south of the entry is a 3-part picture window with a double-hung windows with Craftsman-style divided uppers.  Double-hung and hopper-style windows are typical on non-primary facades, all with wood sash and wide wood frames. A brick chimney pierces the eaves on the south facade.  The site is raised with a bermed lawn, foundation shrubs, a tall tree at the north side, and a concrete walkway and steps. 

Detail for 1965 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0710 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1965 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0710 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0