Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.seattle.gov'

New Search

Summary for 1927 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0665 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: MacDougall-Dulmage Residence Common Name: 46 Smith Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1911
 
Significance
This residence is a good and intact example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1911, it is associated with the early developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood. It remains remarkably intact and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Charles B. & Katherine MacDougall; he was President of Seattle Lighting & Fixture Co.. It was owned by William S. (an auto director) & Katherine Dulmage from the 1930s through at least the 1950s.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This large, 2-story Craftsman-style house has cross-gabled roof with hipped roof skirting covering the full length porch. The roof has deep eaves, wide bargeboards, exposed rafter ends and knee braces. The house is clad in clapboard siding with stucco and half-timbering in the gable ends. The porch roof is supported by square posts with a square wood balustrade between. The entry is recessed at the south end. Under the porch is a group of 5- 12/1 wood frame windows and in the gable-end is a group of 12/1 wood casements. Paired 12/1 wood casement windows are typical in the north and south facades. The south facade has a gabled projecting bay to the rear. The site is flat and planted with lawn, shrubs and mature trees and dominated by wide concrete steps and a walk leading to wood porch steps with clapboard clad stepped sidewalls. 

Detail for 1927 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0665 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1927 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0665 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0