Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1737 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0106 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Tucker Residence Common Name: 46 Orton Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1930
This residence is a good and intact example of the Tudor style. Built in 1930, it is associated with 1930s era development in the Montlake neighborhood.  It retains remarkable integrity and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.  From as early as 1938 through at least the 1950s, W. Franklin Tucker, a salesman for Independent Sheet Metal Corp., owned this home along with his wife, Mary.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This brick-clad Tudor house has a rectangular plan and a steep crossed gable roof with eave returns on the gable front.  A crenelated entry enclosure with arched openings pierces the roof where the side and front gables meet. A rectangular multi-pane leaded wood frame window is located to the south of the entry and a multi-frame leaded picture window is located to the north. A narrow double-hung window is in the gable end.  Double-hung windows are typical on the north and south facades and all windows have wood frames and brick sills and lintels.  On the north facade, two brick chimneys pierce the eaves on either side of the roof ridge.  The south half of the site is gently bermed with a rockery, lawn, mature shrubs, concrete steps and a walkway.  The north half has a concrete driveway at grade leading to an attached garage with a three-part folding paneled garage door with leaded transom windows.  

Detail for 1737 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0106 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1737 26TH AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0106 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0