Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1942 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0540 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Knott Residence Common Name: 46 Sutherland Residence
Style: Colonial - Dutch Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1916
This residence is a good and intact example of the Dutch Colonial Revival style. Built in 1916, it is associated with early development in the Montlake neighborhood. It is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Joseph & Georgia Knott in 1928.  The home was owned by Esther A. Miller, a widow, in 1938.  It was owned by Mendel L. & Lucille Levin in 1948; they worked at Save More Drug Stores Inc. and Level Wholesale Inc. The owners in 1958 were Dean A. & Helen Farnham in 1958; he was a pharmacist for Burien Drug Store.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 2-story, clapboard-clad Dutch Colonial Revival-style residence has a side-gabled gambrel roof with eave returns and a prominent shed roof dormer. It has a rectangular plan and symmetrical facade. The concrete entry stoop is sheltered by a gabled roof pediment with wall braces on either side of the flush wood entry door.  Paired 6/1 double-hung wood sash and frame windows flank the entry and 2 double-hung wood windows are located in the dormer. Single and paired double-hung wood frame windows are typical. A hip-roofed covered side porch is located on the south facade and a brick chimney pierces the roof ridge near the center. The site is flat with lawn and shrubs and enclosed by a tall wood fence.

Detail for 1942 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0540 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gambrel Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1942 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 871210-0540 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0