Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1726 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0091 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Bradner Residence Common Name: 46 Chen-Whe Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This Tudor Revival residence, built in 1925, is associated with the 1920s developmental era in the Montlake neighborhood. Despite some window alterations it remains largely intact and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owner was Cleo Bradner, in 1928. It was owned by Lloyd T. & Dorothy Baird in 1938; he was a manager for Henry Broderick, Inc. Phillip J. (a lawyer) & Florence Poth of Zabel & Poth owned it n the late 1940s, and in the 1950s, it was owned by Walter & Ruth Husfloen, a bookkeeper for Pelican Packing and a teacher at Harrison School.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1.5-story Tudor-style residence as a rectangular plan and side gable roof form with a steeply pitched front gable, a shed roof dormer on the front facade and a gabled enclosed entry. A gabled bay is located on the south facade. The house is clad in clapboard siding with stucco and false timbering in the gable ends. Windows are paired or groups of 3 wood frame.  Main floor windows on the front facade have been changed out; windows in the gable end and dormer appear to be original, leaded, divided casements.  The site is surrounded by a tall wood fence that obscures views to the planted area and first floor. 

Detail for 1726 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0091 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1726 BOYER AVE / Parcel ID 359250-0091 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0