Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2553 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0230 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Warren Residence Common Name: 08 Alhadeff Residence
Style: Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This residence is a good and generally intact example of a Colonial Bungalow. Built in 1922, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.  William Warren of the Tenth Ave Meat Market owned this house by 1928, through 1938. In 1948 the owners were Peter (a seaman)  & Dorothy Butler. It was owned by Irwin S. & Freda Blumenfeld in 1958; Blumenfeld (1909-2002) was a reporter, newspaper owner and long-time public information director for the University of Washington.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This 1-1/2 story Colonial Bungalow sits close to the street on a relatively flat corner lot with a lawn, shrubs, a fenced rear yard and a driveway on the north. The side gable roof has a clipped gable dormer at the south end of the facade. Cladding is combed shingles.The entry, in the center, has a portico with a gabled roof supported by four square posts, an arched opening and a plain wood railing. The concrete stairs have newer stone sidewalls. The upper half of the door has Craftsman-style windows. Flanking the entry are two tripartite windows with wide wood surrounds, each with three 3-over-one wood sash. Side elevations and the basement level have a combination of similar wood sash and newer sash. The front gable end has a small horizontal window.  The rear elevation has a flat-roofed dormer addition and a brick chimney. .  

Detail for 2553 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0230 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2553 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0230 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0