Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2553 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0430 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 06 Baker Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This residence is a good and intact example of the Tudor style.  Built in 1925, it is associated with 1920s-era development in the Montlake neighborhood.  Some original leaded glass wood frame windows have been changed out to aluminum frame and a new window has been cut into the east facing roof, however, despite these alterations, the house retains sufficient integrity to convey its historic and architectural significance and is a contributing resource in the Montlake NRHP Historic District.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This large, two-story Tudor-style residence sits high on a corner lot with lawn and dense shrubs and trees that largely obscure views to the house from the street. A concrete block retaining wall with a slatted wood fence above surrounds most of the site. At the southeast corner, wide concrete stairs with wrought iron railings at the corner lead to a concrete path that cuts diagonally through the site to the front entry. A concrete driveway at the west side of the site leads to a single attached basement level garage. The house features an L-shaped plan and complex multi-gabled and hipped roof form with numerous intersecting ridges and a long sloping section to the east, sheltering a one-story arched colonnade. The house is clad in stucco with a prominent stucco-clad chimney located in the crux of the L.  The arched entry is located in the east-facing facade adjacent to the chimney.  Windows on this facade are leaded and arched.  Windows on other facades are generally single or groupings of three double-hung wood frame windows with leaded glass.  Some windows are newer, with aluminum frames, including a new aluminum frame that has been cut into the top of the east-facing hipped roof.  

Detail for 2553 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0430 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2553 22ND AVE / Parcel ID 880590-0430 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0