Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Thompson Residence Common Name: 01 Baker Residence
Style: Colonial - Cape Cod Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1923
This residence, located in the Montlake Park Addition, was built in 1923 as a side gable Craftsman-style residence with clapboard siding, an eyebrow roof dormer, a gabled pediment projection at the west end and a projecting gable front porch pediment in the center. Grouping of three picture windows with divided uppers and wood sash and frames flanked the entry.  The February 15, 1932 issue of The Seattle Daily Times includes “before” and “after” photographs of this house on the “My House Goes Modern” feature page.  The photographs show the house’s original Craftsman style in the “before” photo, and the newly “modernized” Cape Cod style house.  In the “after” photo, the house is clad in brick. The eyebrow roof dormer, gable front projecting bay and projecting pedimented porch are removed.  The three part picture windows are changed out to a pair of individual double-hung wood windows with eight-over one sashes and shutters on either side of the flush entry door with flanking engaged pilasters.  The caption under the photographs reads, “Vivid illustration of the possibilities of modernizing is afforded by these views of a house at 1876 Hamlin St. that ‘went modern’.  The upper view shows the original mediocre architecture. The lower view shows the structure after modernization with brick.”  Although these alterations significantly changed the original character of this house, the changes were made during the period of significance for the Montlake NRHP Historic District, therefore, despite this compete “modernizing” makeover, this house is a contributing resource.  
The earliest known owners (1928) were Hartsell and Ruth Thompson; he was credit manager at Builders Brick Co., and Ruth Thompson; their ownership continued at least through 1938. In 1948, it was owned by John M. Speer, a public school teacher, and his wife, Louise. The owners in 1958 were James P. (salesman, Capitol Hill Furniture and Appliances) and Hazel Kearnes.  
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-one-half story side gable residence is clad in brick. It has a symmetrical facade with a flush entry in the center flanked by two double-hung windows with wood sash, frames and shutters on either side. The entry door is paneled wood with a twelve-part divided light window in the upper half and is flanked by engaged pilasters. The entry stoop is brick with wrought iron railings.  Single, paired, and groups of three double hung wood windows with divided uppers, all covered with storm windows are typical throughout. A brick chimney pierces the eaves on the east facade. The site is flat with lawn and foundation shrubs. 

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0