Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Common Name: 01 Thomas Residence
Style: French - French Eclectic Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1927
This residence, located in the Montlake Park Addition, was built in 1927 and is one several French Eclectic style houses built in the 1920s on this block.  It retains a high degree of integrity and is a contributing resource in the Montlake NRHP Historic District.
Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  
Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.
The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.
By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).
Major Bibliographic References:
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  
Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.
Gould, James W. Montlake History.
Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-one-half story French Eclectic-style house sits on a slightly raised, flat lot with a low concrete retaining wall with a brick sill at the perimeter. It is planted with lawn, shrubs, and a few foundation plantings. A concrete walk bisects the lawn and leads to a small brick and concrete entry stoop with stairs to the side. On the west side of the site, a wood fence with a trellised top runs parallel to the primary, south facing facade then turns north along the side yard and encloses the back yard. The house form is pyramidal, with a hipped roof, prominent gabled roof dormer in the center of the front facade with a three-part diamond pane leaded casement window grouping. There is a hipped roof dormer with new sliding windows facing east and a gabled roof dormer with leaded casement windows facing north. The house is clad in undulating shingles. The entry door is recessed slightly and sheltered by a small shed porch roof supported by brackets. To the west of the entry is a hip roofed projecting bay with tall leaded casement windows. To the east of the entry is a small, recessed porch with a French door and wrought iron railing. The west facade features a grouping of five leaded casement windows, a hip roofed projecting bay with a side entry and a three-part diamond paned leaded casement window above.  A detached garage with clipped gable ends, matching siding, a paneled roll up door with windows in the upper third, and a pair of leaded casement windows on the west side is located to the rear and accessed from the alley.    

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Photo taken Jan 31, 2012

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 31, 2012

Photo taken Jan 31, 2012
App v2.0.1.0