Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2502 24TH AVE / Parcel ID / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Callahan Residence Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
This house is located in Block 14, Lot 7-8 of the Union City Addition. In 1938, Harlan Callahan, the Chief Deputy Coroner of King County, and his wife Lola, lived here; they remained through the 1950s.

 Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This clapboard-clad one-and-a-half story house is square in plan with a clipped cross gable roof with molded rake board at the gable ends and a cornice return at each corner. The façade features a red brick chimney prominently placed in the center. A smaller ridgeline chimney is just south of the cross gable intersection. On the main façade, south of the chimney, is the entry porch with a clipped gable roof supported by a pair of slender wood posts under a wide beam with rounded ends, with a small window in the gable end. The door is wood and glass in a Craftsman pattern and is flanked by sidelights composed of 3 long narrow panes with 3 small panes at the top and bottom. Other windows are modern replacements with interior muntins in a Craftsman pattern. North of the chimney is a tripartite window with a 1/1 window in the center flanked by smaller 6/1 Craftsman style windows. The second floor has a 1/1 window on each side of the chimney. Side elevations have similar windows in single or tripartite groupings. A driveway is on the north side of the house.

Detail for 2502 24TH AVE / Parcel ID / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Unknown
Roof Type(s): Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2502 24TH AVE / Parcel ID / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 15, 2009
App v2.0.1.0