Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2516 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8805900855 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Boone Residence Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1925
This house is located in Block 14, Lot 1-2 of the Union City Addition.The first identified owners (1938) were Warren Boone, who worked at Pacific Telephone and Telegraph, and his wife Kathleen, who remained here through the 1950s.

 Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood. 

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).


King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.


This brick-clad 1-1/2 story residence is on a corner lot, sitting above the street with a rockery, lawn and foundation plantings. It has a front gable roof with shallow eaves and cornice returns. There are two chimneys, an exterior brick on near the northeast corner and a small ridgeline chimney east of the center. The center entry porch is enclosed and has a gabled roof and a 12-light glass block window on the front. The entry is on the north side of the porch, with a single wood bracket in the opening. The entry is flanked by two pairs of wood-frame windows with leaded glass upper lights. Above the entry is a tripartite window of three 1/1 wood windows with leaded glass muntins in the upper sash. Side elevation windows are similar, either singly or in groups of three. On the south side of the façade, the wall extends out beyond the roofline, forming a wing wall with a diagonal top. At the rear of the house, a wing extends out slightly to the north with a side gable. This gable end has a tripartite gable window like that on the front elevation. Below this is a small single window, a pair of windows, and three vents. Below is the basement garage, with a shed roof with exposed rafter tails and pair of doors with 6-light windows above panels.

Detail for 2516 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8805900855 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Shed Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2516 24TH AVE / Parcel ID 8805900855 / Inv # 0

Photo taken May 20, 2009
App v2.0.1.0