Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1827 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101270 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 44 Polissar Residence
Style: American Foursquare Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1921
This residence is one of Montlake's few American Foursquare style houses. It is a contributing element to the Montlake HIstoric District. The earliest known owners of this house were Frank & Lillian Fahey in 1928; he was a Purchasing Agent for Libby McNeill & Libby. Their ownership continued through 1938. It was owned by Dr. Thomas R. & Joan Hazelrigg in 1948. IN 1958, the owners were Fred C. & Beverley Whaley; he was a Mechanical Engineer for Pacific Car & Foundry.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two story house is oriented perpendicular to the street. It sits on a poured concrete foundation, is clapboard clad, and has a hipped composition roof with overhanging eaves. Fenestration is non-original double-hung vinyl sash with false muntins, but windows include original wood surrounds and sills.. The entry (south) façade includes a centrally placed entry sheltered by a rounded pier-supported gabled pediment roof. It is flanked by large window openings. The second story has three evenly-spaced window openings. The façade facing the street (east) has a centrally placed exterior brick chimney flanked by double-hung vinyl windows on the first and second story. There is a small centrally-placed triangular dormer, to which the chimney is appended. The rear of the house, visible from Howe Street, includes an enclosed back porch over an attached garage, a large deck, and sliding doors, as well as additional vinyl window openings.  

Detail for 1827 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101270 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1827 23RD AVE / Parcel ID 8722101270 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0