Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1907 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100795 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name: 43 Lamb Residence
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1927
This house, built by Stanley Long and the Long Building Company, is an intact example of the Tudor Revival style, and is a contributing element to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were Ethan Allen & Marie Peyser in 1928. Mr. Allen served as Deputy Prosecuting Attorney. It was owned by Dr. John W. & Marian Geehan in 1938. In 1948, the owners were Melvin O. & Wilma Meves of the Meves Printing Co.; they remained here through at least 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This two-story house is generally rectangular in plan, is clad in clapboard and shingle, and has a side gabled roof with a prominent front wing with returned eaves. The front (north) façade is clapboard clad on the first story, and includes the front entry vestibule, which sits on a raised landing with a low, closed brick railing, and is partially enclosed by an arched, wood-clad porch structure with a gable-peaked roofline. The front gable includes a 12-over-1 wood frame window with metal muntins, flanked by 12-over-1 windows. The second story includes two pairs of 6-over-1 sash. Windows are framed with wood lintels and sills. Beneath the gable peak, which is clad in combed shingles, is a smaller pair of 6-over-1 sash. Secondary facades contain similar materials and fenestration as the primary façade. The west façade includes a smaller secondary gable. 

Detail for 1907 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100795 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1907 E BLAINE ST E / Parcel ID 8722100795 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0